Monday, January 19, 2009

MLK Day 2009: Millions make it a day on

A year ago, I wrote a post encouraging people to support the spirit of Dr. King's vision: Seamless Services?: MLK Day: Make it a day on, not a day off.
Monday January 21, 2008 is the national celebration of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s life and work. UNE plans several activities in support of the celebration. I encourage our students to participate in those activities. Since I believe that learning and technology both play essential roles in helping us to move toward King's vision, I find irony in the university's choice to cancel classes on that day. I hope that students will choose to "make it a day on".
I served My MLK Day On by sharing my learning about "Billy the Kid" and issues of diversity. Last year, I felt as if I worked that day relatively isolated.

Every thing changed this year. Today, with President Elect Obama's endorsement of the day of service and the inauguration celebrations around the world. I feel part of a much larger community. I have hope that many more days will be days of service.

No comments: